After much fuckwittery, I’m having the MRI/MRA of my brainium on the 31st. They’re knocking me out because it’s going to be a long one. I saw the ophthalmic neuro in Rochester on Dec 5th and she said it would probably be after Christmas because of booking an anaesthesiologist as well as the mri thingummyjob.
With having the family here and then being sick I didn’t think about not having got an appointment so I didn’t call them to check until Jan 15th.
The coordinator, Melissa, said that the doctor hadn’t passed on the info to book it. I asked who had sent me the letter describing everything the doctor had stated was wrong and the plan of attack – and the tithead said she did! So she saw that an mri/mra was needed but didn’t check??
I demanded to have the doctor call me and this Melissa waffled on and on and said she would call me back.
She called back about twenty minutes later saying she’s booked one for (wait for it!!) May 1st!! I kid you not. They’re checking for fricken tumours and aneurysms and she thinks it’s okay to wait until May 1st?! #Idontfuckenthinkso!!
I told her I’d call other places to arrange an mri because that was an unacceptable wait and she said go ahead. I asked to speak to the doctor again and she said that’s not necessary and hung up on me!
Anyway, I called a couple of other radiology clinics and found one that could do it as early as Thursday last week with me being out for the count so I called her back to send over an order.
She said she’d have to get authorisation from the insurance and she wouldn’t cancel the May 1st appt until she did. I told her to cancel it immediately because I would go out of state before I’d wait that long. Bear in mind, she’s already got this authorisation during the 20 minutes it took to call back after my first call.
Unsurprisingly, she didn’t call back. I called on Friday and got her answerphone.
I called again on Tuesday and spoke to someone else who said she couldn’t see a request for authorisation but she’d get Melissa to call me back after her lunch.
I called Wednesday morning at 9:30am and was told she’d call me back within the hour.
At 2pm, I’d had enough. I called the insurance company and asked them if they had had a request for authorisation at a different clinic. They hadn’t, but said it would be an automatic yes so they couldn’t understand the delay. They called the eye clinic and unsurprisingly, they couldn’t speak to Melissa either but they spoke to someone else.
Melissa was supposed to call them back too…
Yesterday morning I got a call from the Radiology clinic I’d contacted saying they had had authorisation from the eye clinic and when did I want to go in! The bitch didn’t even have the balls to call me!
The moral of all this is don’t be a doormat. The best person to advocate for you is yourself and don’t let any jumped up little jobsworth dictate the terms if they don’t suit you.
I haven’t finished with her yet as I have every intention of telling the neuro about the allegations of incompetence her staff levelled against her at my next appointment too.